At the height of the pandemic, our Run-Walk-Volunteer (R-W-V) Committee, created to help promote a healthy lifestyle for employees, was forced to reevaluate its mission. Determined to find a way to continue promoting healthy habits, the R-W-V committee established Miles with a Mission.
Miles with a Mission pairs employee wellness with philanthropic reward by encouraging employees to participate in a virtual 5K on their own time, at their own pace, either walking running, walking, hiking, and in the winter months, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. In exchange, each month the committee selects a non-profit organization to support and sends them a donation on behalf of everyone who participates (including an employee’s plus-one) in the virtual event.
The R-W-V committee was thrilled to donate a total of $13,730 to 12 non-profits in 2022. So far this year, we are on track to beat that number with the following results to-date:
- January: Helping Hands (ME, NH, VT): $1,430
- February: Committee on Temporary Shelter (COTS) (VT): $1420
- March: Old Dogs Go To Helen (NH): $1420
- April: Spaulding Academy and Family Services (NH): $1590
- May: Riverbend Community Mental Health (NH): $1,450
- June: The Friendly Kitchen (NH): $1,520
- July: David’s House (NH): $1,510
The Miles with a Mission program aligns perfectly with our company goal of promoting the health and wellbeing of our employees. By creating and/or sponsoring fitness opportunities and encouraging and incentivizing participation, we are able to meet this goal one 5K at a time.