This is the perfect time to review your home care routine and check to see when you visited your dentist last. A few tips to remember are:
- Visit your dentist at least once per year; more frequently, if you have gum disease or are prone to tooth decay.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months so it cleans your teeth and gums properly.
- Use a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Brush your tongue daily.
- Assist children (under eight) by flossing and brushing for them to ensure their teeth are cleaned thoroughly.
- Have sealants placed on permanent molars.
- Don’t ignore bleeding gums.
- Avoid frequent exposure to sugary and acidic drinks.
- Ask about an oral cancer screening exam annually from your dentist or hygienist.
The mouth is the portal to the body and reflects the overall health of our bodies. Often, the first sign of an illness or chronic condition appears in the mouth. Celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month with a new toothbrush, better home care habits, fewer sugary and acidic drinks, and a great dental check-up! Oral disease can be prevented. Start your journey to wellness now.